Each week, Bangbelly brings you Recipe Rescue, with a pantry-friendly, easy to execute dish sure to impress your nearest and dearest.
Tired of the same old potatoes on your dinner table? Kick your spuds up a notch with these savory Parmesan potatoes that are as crispy as they are light and fluffy.
Contrary to usual best practice for boiling root veggies, these potatoes are cooked directly in boiling water, rather than coming to a boil with their water. This way the outside of the potatoes cook faster, and release their starches, enabling them to get extra crispy on the outside without overcooking.
These little morsels are a study in perfectly contrasting textures and are a testament to the nutty, piquant flavour of Parmesan, which basically means they are the perfect dish to accompany any meal.
- 1 kg Potatoes, diced
- 3 L Water
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 Tbsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 60 ml Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
- 1 tsp Savoury
- Preheat your oven to 425° F
- In a large saucepot, bring water to a rapid boil, add salt + baking soda, and mix to dissolve
- Add the potatoes to the boiling water and cook for 6-8 minutes until the surface of the potatoes begin to soften
- Drain the potatoes, place on a clean dry cloth, and let steam/cool in the refrigerator for 20 minutes
- Once cool, toss the potatoes in the oil and savory, and spread them out on an unlined sheet pan
- Roast the potatoes in the oven for 15 minutes, at 425° F
- After 15 minutes, flip the potatoes and sprinkle them with Parmesan cheese. Continue roasting for another 10 minutes, until the outsides are crispy + golden and insides are tender + fluffy
- Finish the potatoes with a sprinkle of salt + pepper and a final garnish of Parmesan